My latest book is Our Very Own Adventure: Towards a Poetics of the Short Story, published by Melbourne University Publishing, 2011.
Reviewed in Text (A-ranked journal), October 2011.
My 2004 book on writing, Power Prose, is no longer in print, but can sometimes be found on Abebooks.
Alternatively, copies can be bought directly from me for AU$14.99 plus $9.00 postage, via my secure Paypal account (email me for details).
Other publications -
- ‘A Rare Brand of Intimacy: Reconsidering the Structure and Unique Effect of the Short Story, in Text, Volume 13, No. 2, October 2009
- Pixels, Paper and Public Affairs: a Comparative Content Census of Print and Online Editions of Melbourne Newspaper The Age,’ in Australian Journalism Review, 31 (1): 91-104.
- Real Life–Packaged for Consumers: the fait divers as a Heuristic for Scrutinizing the Construction of Moral Panics in the Australian Press, in Garcin-Marrou, I & Jamet, C (eds). Medias & Culture, Paris, France, L’Harmatton, pp.91-101 (co-written with D. Hecq).
- Relatively Benign Corruption? Critical Discourse Analysis for Media Students, in Australian Journal of Communication, 34 (2): 91-102.
- Mornings with Radio 774: Can John Howard’s Medium of Choice Enhance Public Sphere Activity? in Media International Australia, issue 122, February 2007, Theme Editor: Graeme Turner.
- Review of Switched On: Conversations with Influential Woman in the Australian Media, edited by Catherine Hangar, John Wiley, Brisbane, 2006, in Media International Australia, 124 (August 2007): 182-183.
- From Dog Leads to Dying: “Moderate” Talkback as a Rhetorical Space for Democratic Processes, in Radio in the World: Papers from the 2005 Melbourne Radio Conference, 2005.
Up Close, Episode 98, 17 MIN 36 SEC
- ‘The Annotated Bibliography’ This online tutorial explains why an annotated bibliography is an integral part of the research process. Three research students are interviewed to discover how the process of compiling an annotated bibliography helped structure and develop their work. The tutorial explains how to construct an annotated bibliography.
- ‘Scholarly Journal Articles’ This webcast is designed to assist students in identifying and obtaining the correct types of references needed for academic essays (two versions: undergrad and postgrad).
Mass media articles
- Op-ed article in The University of Melbourne Voice, Vol. 7 Number 8, August 15-September 11 2011, distributed as an insert in the Melbourne Age newspaper, August 15 2011. Read online version of article.
- Op-ed article IN The University of Melbourne Voice Vol. 6, No. 4, 12 April – 3 May 2010, distributed as an insert in the Melbourne Age newspaper April 12 2010. Read online version of article.